Over 2 million UK SMEs have taken out state-backed loans since the onset of the pandemic. Many will shortly be facing their first repayments, as the Treasury has been picking up interest payments until now.
According to the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), 40.4% of SMEs that tapped into Government-backed loans will default. Undoubtedly, BBL and CBIL loans have helped more than a million businesses access the emergency funds. Yet, the maximum of 25% of annual turnover allowed by BBL in many cases didn't cover 12 months of poor or zero trading.
Insolvency doesn't necessarily have to mean the end of the road though!
Viable businesses showing early signs of insolvency are urged to seek one of the following solutions: from Time to Pay schemes to Capital Release, Turnaround Financing to Administration or Company Voluntary Arrangements.
Company Voluntary Arrangements (CVA), so widely used on the High Street, may allow businesses to renegotiate the terms of their debt with creditors.
Our services are tailored to the specific circumstances of each situation and supported by FTI Consulting specialists, including operational, tax, insolvency and industry professionals, to review specific aspects of business plans.
A combination of the following elements will often be needed;
• Assessment of the validity of market and strategic assumptions
• Evaluation of the management team and structure
• Review of historical and forecast trading performance
• Assessment of liquidity and related cash flow forecasts to understand and analyse the drivers of cash flow
• Evaluation of whether the business has adequate liquidity to continue operating normally, thereby allowing time for financial stakeholders to consider their options
• Assessment of debt capacity
• Evaluation of stakeholder positions
• Options analysis and appraisal
If you are a business owner concerned about the financial health and liquidity of your business at the moment, please contact me for a confidential, initial independent FREE Business Stress Test to see if and where further help might be needed.